Monday 13 August 2012

Graduation


So I finally got to attend my graduation ceremony :)!!!

As I have mentioned in previous posts this was a big deal to me as there were a couple of times when I wasn't sure I would ever make it to this day.

When it came to the ceremony I though of it as a great excuse to dress up and look amazing, I had been told a lot of things about what I should wear 'black looks best', 'you'll break your neck if you try to wear those shoes' of course it didn't really bother me what others said. I had already bought my dress (or rather had it bought for me as a graduation present) and I was set on some statement shoes that of course had heels bigger than my feet.

For anyone who is graduating and has no idea what to wear or wants to know if what they have in mind is appropriate I have a couple of tips to help steer you in the right diretion.

Dress or Suit?
In the end what you are wearing underneath the gown can't really be seen during the ceremony so you are best to dress for what you are doing afterwards but this is not to say you can wear your converse, jeans and a tee because people will notice that. If you are planning on buying something new for the occasion (you worked hard so why shouldn't you?) then you might lean towards a suit, graduation generally means you are heading out into the professional world and you may be going to a lot of interviews or already have the job and want to impress people around the office. If you do opt for the suit I recommend that you leave the jacket backstage or with a friend as the lighting can make the stage rather hot, this tip goes for the guys to. 
If on the other hand you want a beautiful cocktail dress to party hard in later make sure it's not going to be a one off wear, too many times I have bought a dress for that one occasion and after it has hung in my wardrobe with all those other dresses to good for every day wear.

Heels or Flats?
For my graduation I actually took two pairs of shoes with me, heels for the ceremony and flats for all the running around before and after. Again there really is no bad choice, except maybe thongs. 
One thing I did find with the shoes I wore was that they were very noticeable (bright pink) so when I was searching through the pages of professional photos I found it very easy to find myself.
So my advice is as long as you are comfortable walking in your shoes it is really up to you, don't let anyone tell you that heels are inappropriate or to much hassle, it's not a long walk from one side of the stage to the other so practice up and down your room at home and you'll be right, plus sky high heels do wonders for shaping your legs so a little bit of discomfort can go a long way.

Accessories and the Rest
I wore some big bling to stand out from the big black robe but again like the rest it is up to what you think suits you and makes you feel the best.
The only area I have any real do's and don'ts for is the hair and make up department.

DO put in some effort, go get it done professionally if you want, it is a big day go spoil yourself.
DON'T go over the top with the make up, yes you will be on a stage but that doesn't mean you need stage make up, most of the photos will be before or after and they will be close ups so you want to be looking your best then, it isn't necessaries for the audience to see your eyelashes.
DO curl or straighten your hair, again take some time style's it because this is a part that isn't covered by the gown.

DON'T spend hours and lots of money on an intricate updo as the motar board (hat) will most likely ruin it wear your hair out or loosely tied up, at the very least remember that you will be wearing a hat so a bun on the top of your head might not work so well.

So when it all comes down to it dress to impress yourself and no one else, make sure you like how you look it's your day you deserve to feel great!

XX Stacy



Also you most likely will get hat hair ^ so be aware of that :)





No comments:

Post a Comment